Just a side note, I originally created this blog back in high school for an AP Chinese project.
So, if you scroll down and see a bunch of old posts you can't read...that's why they're there.
I do blog extensively, but I personally prefer Tumblr's interface over Blogger.
I do blog extensively, but I personally prefer Tumblr's interface over Blogger.
Reading:
1 hour spent reading 不猷默也難 (It's Hard Not to be Funny), a Chinese novel.
30 minutes spent reading textbooks for homework.
30 minutes spent reading news articles on Yahoo! and allkpop.
30 minutes spent reading news articles on Yahoo! and allkpop.
TV:
3 hours spent watching 犀利人妻 (The Fierce Wife), a Taiwanese drama.
Internet:
1 hour spent using laptop for browsing social networking sites (Tumblr, Twitter, Weibo, Gmail, and me2day)
1 hour spent using laptop for homework.
Other:
...Glued to iPhone (checking social networking sites, listening to radio, instant messaging, playing games, etc.)
Tuesday, Sept. 20th
Reading:
2 hours spent reading Chinese novel.
3 hours spent reading textbooks/articles for homework.
TV:
1 hour spent watching Taiwanese drama.
Internet:
1 hour spent using laptop for browsing social networking sites.
2 hours spent using laptop for homework.
Other:
...Glued to iPhone.
Wednesday, Sept. 21st
Reading:
1 hour spent reading Chinese novel.
2 hours spent reading textbooks/articles for homework.
30 minutes spent reading news on Yahoo! and allkpop.
TV:
2 hours spent watching Taiwanese drama.
Internet:
1 hour spent using laptop for browsing social networking sites.
1 hour spent using laptop for homework.
Other:
...Glued to iPhone.
Thursday, Sept. 22nd
Reading:
2 hours spent reading textbooks/articles for homework.
TV:
1 hour spent watching Taiwanese drama.
Internet:
1 hour spent using laptop for browsing social networking sites.
1 hour spent using laptop for homework.
Other:
Glued to iPhone.
Friday, Sept. 23rd
Reading:
1 hour spent reading Chinese novel.
1 hour spent reading textbooks/articles for homework.
1 hour spent reading news on Yahoo! and allkpop
TV:
3 hours spent watching Taiwanese drama.
1 hour spent watching Rostropovich concert DVD
Internet:
2 hours spent using laptop for browsing social networking sites.
1 hour spent using laptop for homework.
Other:
Glued to iPhone.
Saturday, Sept. 24th
Reading:
3 hours spent reading textbooks/articles for homework.
1 hour spent reading news on Yahoo! and allkpop
TV:
4 hours spent watching Taiwanese drama.
1 hour spent watching Starker concert DVD
Internet:
3 hours spent using laptop for browsing social networking sites.
1 hour spent using laptop for homework.
Other:
Glued to iPhone.
Sunday, Sept. 25th
Reading:
1 hour spent reading textbooks/articles for homework.
TV:
2 hours spent watching Taiwanese drama.
Internet:
2 hours spent using laptop for browsing social networking sites.
2 hours spent using laptop for homework.
Other:
Glued to iPhone.
Analysis
Generally speaking, I watch TV more than I use the computer (especially since this summer), and the iPhone just about replaces the need for my computer. I used to be the kind of person that was glued to my computer all day, sitting there refreshing my Facebook newsfeed until it was past midnight and I had yet to start my homework. But since the start of this summer, my Facebook's been deactivated (I'm surprised I haven't been tempted to reactivate it yet). Although I still use other social networking sites extensively, none of them were as addicting and time-consuming as Facebook was. I realize this makes contacting or inviting me to events inconvenient for my friends, but I rationalized that they could still email or text me. Facebook seems to be more distracting than beneficial for me.
As for my iPhone usage, I'm not actually always on my iPhone, but its role in my daily life is so interwoven that it's hard to calculate just how much time I spend using it. I usually have it around me, and every once in a while, I'll check all the networking apps, Gmail, and IM to see if I have any new notifications. Besides that, I use it to listen to music a lot, as well as the radio. It's also my translator and all-knowing calculator (WolframAlpha). Because it's much more convenient to carry around an iPhone, I don't use my computer that often anymore, especially with the absence of Facebook.
My second biggest media intake would be the TV. I watched a total of 21 dramas (about 25 episodes each) this summer..."marathon-style". Although, with school in session, I've toned it down to only a couple episodes each week. To some extent, I do consider this productive and educational, since they improve my Chinese speaking and reading skills. It's just not a very physically or socially healthy lifestyle...
I think in terms of computer, internet, and smartphone use, my intake is about the same compared to most people my age. I can't say the same for TV though, especially after this summer. For the portion of the population that shares the same TV-watching habits as mine, it's definitely leading society down an unhealthy lifestyle path. Because of this, I try to refrain from marathoning on the couch, opting to watch while exercising at the same time. Although this doesn't decrease my media intake, it's a much healthier alternative to sitting in front of the TV all day.
Lastly, I think the fact I'm a commuter prevents me from socializing as much as my friends and peers, leaving me to connect with them online or through other media sources. I used to find that, despite the lack of updates on social networking sites, I would still keep refreshing the newsfeed...almost out of boredom. Even now, I sometimes catch myself falling into that trap. Had I lived on campus, going out with friends and socializing face-to-face would be not only more convenient, but opportunities to do so would arise more frequently.
3 comments:
I can agree that Facebook is a serious distraction when people use it too much, I feel that spending too much time on the site though... Is entirely the fault of the person and them being unable to manage their time well. I personally have cut back on Facebook when I am busy and I have stopped most of my Facebook contact other than posting maybe once a day.
Great job on your media diet. I too deactivated my facebook profile over the summer; I went about a month into the school year before I re-activated it out of necessity for a club. I was on that web site an inappropriate amount before deactivating it. I spend much less time on facebook now.
I think you can absolutely justify your media intake if you feel that it is educational or enriching, in your case improving your chinese skills; especially if you are exercising simultaneously! Being a commuter student must be vastly different from living on campus. You're not stuck in this cultural bubble so much. I bet it's almost like being a part of the real world.
-Robert Boscacci
I am a bit jealous that you have so much time to watch dramas. I remember during my high school years, I had a lot of alone time so I would use said time to excessively game, read manga or watch anime, movies, and dramas. Having come to college, I've lost a lot of that time since everything is so social. I think you have a achieved a healthy mix of college social activity and private enjoyment.
Allkpop is a great site though, I must admit. Actually, I think I visit that site more than I do Facebook. Goes to show up-to-date I am and how much I love my Kpop!
Post a Comment